Why Devils Lake Ice Fishing Trips are Perfect for Perch Fans
Winter is here, but that doesn't mean you have to stash away all of your fishing gear. Why not consider taking a Devils Lake ice fishing trip? Located in northeastern North Dakota and covering more than 180,000 acres, Devils Lake is known for being a hard water perch fishing hot spot.
Why are Devils Lake ice fishing trips perfect for perch fans? Well, if you want to know, keep reading because you'll find more than one answer to this question.
Since you understand why Devils Lake ice fishing trips are perfect for perch fans now, it’s time to pack up your thermal socks and head to North Dakota.
- Devils Lake has often been cited as one of the top five fishing lakes in the country with yellow perch weighing more than two pounds being caught on a frequent basis.
- The large populations of freshwater shrimp in Devils Lake accelerate the growth of perch and provide an abundance of forage for larger game fish like pike. In other words, you can catch big perch and have a chance at a big pike too!
- Because of the long winter season in North Dakota, you have more time to explore early and late ice fishing opportunities for perch on Devils Lake. Be sure to review all of the important ice fishing safety tips before you go, and always make safety the number one priority when ice fishing in Devils Lake or anywhere else.
- Yellow perch are schooling fish that can deliver non-stop action during the winter months because they continue to feed aggressively, even at low water temperatures. The consistent winter bite on Devils Lake will keep you entertained and catching.
- You can find plenty of bait shops on Devils Lake, and most offer lake maps that can help you find good ice fishing spots for perch. If prefer to fish with an experienced guide, there are also several guides that focus on ice fishing in Devils Lake for perch. You have options!
- It's super simple to get your North Dakota fishing license online, whether you are a resident or non-resident. This means you can easily purchase your license in advance of your trip and be ready to catch those perch through the ice once you arrive.