5 Factors that could Change in New Fishing Regulations
Depending on your state, a new year probably means it is time for a new fishing license. And while you are at it, it is a good idea to pick up a copy of the new fishing regulations 2019. Fish populations and habitats are always changing so fishing regulations are likely to change too.
- Who. Age requirements for fishing licenses could change. Some states even have a youth fishing license. If you travel, you’ll need to be up on what licenses are available to non-residents.
- What. Most new fishing regulations 2019, or previous years, are species specific. For example, there may be a change in harvestable size of crappie for a certain lake. Or, if a muskie fishery is struggling the length or number allowed for possession may be reduced. New fishing regulations also may even adjust bait restrictions to help curb spread of invasive species.
- Where. It is rare that fishing regulations don’t vary somewhat, even within the same state. Some bodies of water require more frequent tweaking than others, depending on fishing pressure, water flow, and other environmental factors.
- When. Opening day of trout is a big deal in some places and Pennsylvania has 2 dates depending where you reside in that state. PA also has two youth mentor fishing days. Most states even have a free fishing day or two. Good dates to know.
- Why. You may find a bit of an explanation for new regulations which are designed to promote certain fisheries programs such as “panfish enhancement waters,” or a “big bass program.” Another area may justify regulations for no harvest by sharing the close proximity to traditional spawning periods.
Laws are constantly changing and new fishing regulations are in a state of flux as well. Find more information about new fishing regulations in your state so that you’ll have the info that is helpful not only to keep you out of trouble but to protect the fishery.
You Might Also Like
A Primer on Recreational Crabbing and Crab Fishing License Needs
5 International Fishing License Guidelines to Know