6 Ways a Kids Fishing Derby Can Create Lifelong Anglers
If you went fishing with your family as a youngster, you probably have a memory bank full of fantastic angling memories. While it may not seem like a big deal to take the kids to a local fishing event or derby, the reality is that a kids fishing derby can help instill a passion and appreciation for nature that carries on well into adulthood.
Taking the next generation to a kids fishing derby can create lifelong anglers in the following ways:
- Research has shown that when kids are introduced to fishing at an early age, they are more likely to stick with the sport through adulthood. If you're looking for healthy activities for kids that encourage a love of nature, find a local kids fishing derby and get them signed up.
- Fishing with kids helps to teach them the long-term importance of respecting and taking care of the environment, including the fish they catch. They learn to appreciate the outdoor scenery and fresh air, which can inspire them to lead a healthier lifestyle as they grow into adults.
- Fishing derbies and events bring families together to have fun, learn, and spend quality time outdoors together. When you go fishing with kids while they are young, those memories will stay with them for years to come.
- Kids fishing derbies provide the opportunity to teach kids about conservation. You can explain the concept of catch-and-release or only taking home what you will eat to help them understand the importance of ensuring healthy fish populations for the future.
- When you take kids to a local derby, they learn the basics of fishing competition that may spur an interest in future events. Prizes are often awarded for the smallest, largest and most fish caught. Kids develop feelings of confidence and experience the intrinsic rewards that come with each catch.
- Fishing is one of the outdoor activities for kids that can teach the importance of relaxation and being present. When you find things to do outside with kids, it encourages them to take time away from electronic devices and learn how to detect even subtle nuances in our ecosystems to become successful anglers. As kids grow up, they will have a pastime that can help them cope with stress in a healthy manner.
After you've taken the kids to a fishing derby or event, and you want to keep them involved, you can use the places to fish map to find a local family-friendly spot that’s close to home.